Goodness–a quality of God–any goodness that we can claim or is seen in us is from God–he is goodness.
Goodness is action; it's not something we do only for the sake of being virtuous. When we strive to be “good” only for our own benefit, it is not truly goodness that we possess. In Greek, the word goodness, “agathosune,” means “an uprightness of heart and life”.
(ESV) 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law..
- Mark 10:18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.
- Exodus 33:19 And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
- 2 Chronicles 6:41 “Now arise, Lord God, and come to your resting place, you and the ark of your might. May your priests, Lord God, be clothed with salvation, may your faithful people rejoice in your goodness.
- Nehemiah 9:25 They captured fortified cities and fertile land; they took possession of houses filled with all kinds of good things, wells already dug, vineyards, olive groves and fruit trees in abundance. They ate to the full and were well-nourished; they reveled in your great goodness.
- Nehemiah 9:35 Even while they were in their kingdom, enjoying your great goodness to them in the spacious and fertile land you gave them, they did not serve you or turn from their evil ways.
- Psalm 23:6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
- Psalm 27:13 I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
- Psalm 69:16 Answer me, Lord, out of the goodness of your love; in your great mercy turn to me.
- Psalm 86:17 Give me a sign of your goodness, that my enemies may see it and be put to shame, for you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.
- Psalm 109:21 But you, Sovereign Lord, help me for your name’s sake; out of the goodness of your love, deliver me.
- Psalm 116:12 What shall I return to the Lord for all his goodness to me?
- Psalm 142:7 Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name. Then the righteous will gather about me because of your goodness to me.
- Psalm 145:7 They celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness.
- Romans 15:14 Paul the Minister to the Gentiles I myself am convinced, my brothers and sisters, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with knowledge and competent to instruct one another.
- Ephesians 5:9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth)
- 2 Thessalonians 1:11 With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed prompted by faith.
- Hebrews 6:5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age
- 2 Peter 1:3-5 3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;