Alex Kirk of Chatham Community Church recently gave a stellar teaching on how to read the Bible to better understand it and to deepen our relationship with God. Below are some notes from his teaching, followed by a link to the audio file.
God wants to speak to you personally. Really. Scripture primary way that happens.
Holy Spirit: heart & text, time, tools
- Inductive: studying as its written start to finish or in sizeable chunks to understand context
Observe (engage, listen)
- Primary question: what does the author say?
- good listening!
- who, what, when, where
- put yourself in as many shoes as possible
- "film" it
- repetition, cause & effect, conflict, tension points
- what does it mean? –especially to the original readers!
- what questions arise from observations made?
- what is the significance or main point?
- one correct interpretation: original intent
- what does it mean for me/we/our community?
- what do I need to do?
- how applied to my internal world?
- promises to claim?
- who is God & what's He up to?
- how apply to our church community and to neighbors and friends who don't know God?
- how could I pray using this passage?