Gentleness: The word Paul uses for “gentleness” in Galatians 5:22-23 is prautes,
which has the same root as the word Jesus uses to describe those who will inherit the earth in Matthew 5. It’s usually translated as “meek,” “mild,” or “gentle.” But Strong’s Greek Concordance says that the word “refers to exercising God’s strength under His control . . . demonstrating power without undue harshness. . . . The English term ‘meek’ often lacks this blend . . . of gentleness (reserve) and strength.”
Reserve and strength. Power and control. These are not words that come to mind when we think of gentleness.
(ESV) 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law..
What does it mean to be gentle–from a God/Jesus perspective? What examples of gentleness are in the Bible and what do they tell us? Why is gentleness such a big deal? What keeps us from being gentle to everyone–genuinely gentle?
- Deuteronomy 32:2 May my teaching drop as the rain, my speech distill as the dew, like gentle rain upon the tender grass, and like showers upon the herb.
- Proverbs 15:4 A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.
- 2 Samuel 22:36 You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your gentleness made me great.
- Psalm 18:35 You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great.
- Matthew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
- Ephesians 4:1-2 I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called,with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,
- James 3:17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.
- 1 Peter 3:4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.
- 2 Samuel 3:39 And I was gentle today, though anointed king. These men, the sons of Zeruiah, are more severe than I. The Lord repay the evildoer according to his wickedness!”
- Jeremiah 11:19 But I was like a gentle lamb led to the slaughter. I did not know it was against me they devised schemes, saying, “Let us destroy the tree with its fruit, let us cut him off from the land of the living, that his name be remembered no more.”
- 1 Corinthians 4:21 What do you wish? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love in a spirit of gentleness?
- 2 Corinthians 10:1 (Paul Defends His Ministry) I, Paul, myself entreat you, by the meekness and gentleness of Christ—I who am humble when face to face with you, but bold toward you when I am away!—
- Galatians 6:1 (Bear One Another's Burdens) Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.
- 1 Timothy 6:11 (Fight the Good Fight of Faith) But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.
- 2 Timothy 2:25 correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,
- 1 Peter 3:15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,
- 1 Thessalonians 2:7 But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children.
- 1 Timothy 3:3 not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.
- Titus 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.