Faithfulness: it requires sacrifice,
even if we are only faithful to a few people–something has to give from our time, or from our bank account. Sometimes it is sweat, sometimes it is pain that is sacrificed, or taken on, to be faithful to someone. What does it mean to practice faithfulness, and to provide, maintain, or establish faithfulness–from a God/Jesus perspective? What examples of faithfulness are in the Bible and what do they tell us? Why is faithfulness such a big deal? What keeps us from being faithful to everyone and every encounter we have–genuine God-derived faithfulness?
The consistent faithfulness of the Trinity is humbling and awe-inspiring is –Jesus pleads for us before the Father continuously; the Spirit daily communicates to us and works to sanctify us; and our Good, good Father sustains us, welcomes us, and provides Jesus and his Spirit to draw us closer and closer to Him. That is faithfulness.
(ESV) 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law..
- Genesis 5:22 After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. Genesis 5:24 Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.
- Genesis 6:9 Noah and the Flood This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God.
- Psalm 51:6 Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place.
- Psalm 86:11 Teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.
- Psalm 89:2 I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself.
- Psalm 89:5 The heavens praise your wonders, Lord, your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones.
- Psalm 89:8 Who is like you, Lord God Almighty? You, Lord, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you.
- Psalm 89:14 Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you.
- Psalm 91:4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
- Psalm 108:4 For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
- Psalm 119:90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures.
- Psalm 148:14 And he has raised up for his people a horn, the praise of all his faithful servants, of Israel, the people close to his heart. Praise the Lord.
- Hosea 2:20 I will betroth you in faithfulness, and you will acknowledge the Lord.
- Proverbs 16:6 Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the Lord evil is avoided.
- Isaiah 11:5 Righteousness will be his belt and faithfulness the sash around his waist.
- Isaiah 16:5 In love a throne will be established; in faithfulness a man will sit on it— one from the house of David— one who in judging seeks justice and speeds the cause of righteousness.
- Isaiah 40:6 A voice says, “Cry out.” And I said, “What shall I cry?” “All people are like grass, and all their faithfulness is like the flowers of the field.
- Isaiah 42:3 A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;
- Matthew 23:23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
- Romans 12:12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
- 1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Hebrews 3:6 But Christ is faithful as the Son over God’s house. And we are his house, if indeed we hold firmly to our confidence and the hope in which we glory.
- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
- Revelation 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood,
- Revelation 2:10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.
- Revelation 19:11 The Heavenly Warrior Defeats the Beast I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war.